Full Season Worker
Several full season employees work on our farm each year. Although we hire employees on a year-by-year basis and we do not ask for a multiple year commitment, we particularly seek full season employees with an interest in returning for work in future years. A stable farm crew is essential to our farm's success, and we reward returning employees. For the last three years all of our full season workers have had prior work experience on our farm.
Before you read this description or apply for work, be sure you have read our introduction for perspective employees. It describes what it's like to work here and explains what we're looking for in a worker.
All employees (and farm owners!) share in the primary farm tasks listed below. It's essential that you understand that you will spend the majority of your time together with other employees performing these repetitive manual tasks:
- Harvest, wash, and pack produce
- Weed and hoe
- Sow seeds and transplant vegetables
Most of our full season workers specialize in some areas, such washing and packing produce, raising seedlings, delivering produce in our van, or operating tractor equipment. We will discuss your interests and qualifications for these roles during the interview process. Prior experience in these areas is helpful but not required. We are willing to train the right applicant and/or to reduce the responsibilities somewhat with the intent to increase them if you return to work here in future years.
Dates and Times of Work
- Late April to early/mid November. Exact start and end dates are negotiable.
- Full-time employees generally work 37.5-40 hours per week. Monday to Friday, 8:00 (or 8:30)-Noon and 1:00-5:00. Occasional Saturday work is available.
- Occasional days off are generally okay with prior approval.
- We work on holidays (July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day).
- Starting wage is $10.00-$12.00 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications.
- We often provide bonuses and raises for good performance.
We have filled all our available full season positions for 2017. Typically we begin reviewing applications for this position in February.
- Complete our online job application.
- We will acknowledge your application when we receive it.
- After we have reviewed applications in February, we may then schedule a time for a brief phone interview (15-20 minutes).
- We may then schedule an in-person interview (~30 minutes) and a trial work session (from one-half day to several days) on our farm. The trial work session is an opportunity for us to evaluate each other while doing real work. It's the most important way we judge applicants.
- Based on your trial work day, interviews, and references, we will offer or deny you employment.